Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Warm Day in SA for Kate & Nicki..





Today was a warm one in Durban for Nicki and Kate...so warm that Nicki said Kate was running around most of the time in a nappy (or here, in the Israeli censor-style photo, in the buff)...

Kate and Moira have been bonding so well and having so much fun. Only Moira can really feed Kate or bath her and get her ready for dinner...which is giving Nicki a rest. Good thing. I'm glad Kate gets to spend so much time with her Grannies...in October she'll see my Mom for a few days and then in December she'll be out visiting to help us celebrate her second birthday.

Even though the grandparents are far away, we really want Kate to spend as much time as possible with them.

I never met either of my grandfathers (they had died years before I arrived), and only saw my grandmothers for one week each a year as a child. (They were both on the east coast and we lived in the midwest, and Dad had two weeks of vacation...two days in a Ford Country Sedan, two adults, four kids, too much luggage, AM radio, and 1000 miles...you do the math...)

Kate's just having an amazing vacation and Nicki is too--tonight she had Girls Night Out and is spending the night in Durban North with her friends while Kate is safely with Granny and Grandpa.

Call me crazy, but I *think* there will a bit of wine consumed during GNO :-).

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Tony does a good Gulliver impression, with all the pets being Liliputians.

Kate has "gone native" it seems.

The kids can't wait to see her next month. I told Joey that Baby Kate was coming to the beach and she exclaimed, "Baby Kate! I love Baby Kate."

4:24 PM  
Blogger Sharon - Pixie Bows said...

Wow, what a suprise. I was taking a look at your site after getting a mailer from Ladera Ranch Dance Academy and decided to check out your blog. What do I see? Durban North, my home! Wow. Small world. I just did a three month trip back to SA along with my 2 1/2 year old twins without Hubbie. It was tuff, emotionally being away for so long but like you say, worth it so the kids can get to know their Grannie and Papa. My folks now live in St Francis Bay so I did not make it back to Durbs to see the friends - I really miss those Girls Nights Out - Which it sounds like your wife is enjoying. Did you both grow up in Durban?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Hi Shazz...

You *know* what it's like...it's so tough dealing with the separation...

Nicki actually grew up in Gillitts and went to St. Mary's Diocesan School for Girls (say it with a very proper British accent ;-)!!)

She's the S. African...I'm actually a "bloody Yank" as she would call me ;-), though I have been back there three times and absolutely love it...just love it...I've always had an interest and a fascination with Africa as long as I can remember, and wanted to go there even before I met Nicki.

You'll have to come by when Nicki is back...you probably have friends in common!!

Paul

6:51 PM  
Blogger AnneGero said...

It is so good to see how much fun Kate, Moira, and Tony are having on Nicki's trip to SA. I do think the tire swing is stupendous!!! All the animals with Tony in bed remind me of the days when Blackie would hog one of our twin beds. He was such a big dog. I know he must have had a safe sleep with all that protection.
The children are getting along OK it seems from their bubble room, swing, etc.
Time will fly for Nicki, but drag for you. They will be back soon.
Mom

8:41 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Paul -

Don't forget these lines from vacation(s) -

1. If I have to stop this car....
2. The first one to fall asleep will get a quarter.
3. Are we there yet?
4. Do we HAVE to sleep on a cot?

Yes...Kate truly is blessed to get to keep in contact with her grandmothers.....

I'm glad she's having a great time.

Peggy :-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

2 weeks down. How's it going?

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home