Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Off Safely to S. Africa







We were up at 2:15 to get to LAX by 4 am for the flight. Kate was a bit bleary-eyed, but stayed awake for the ride to the airport. I'm hoping that she'll be a good girl for Mom on the journey. We arrived in plenty of time to get everyone checked in...Nicki called around 6 just as the plane was loading and I was almost back in Ladera.

My girls are now somewhere over New Mexico heading for Atlanta, and then later this afternoon, on the 18 hour flight to Johannesburg and then changing planes to Durban to visit Moira, Tony, Michael, Belinda, Patrick, James, Lizzie, and Andy and then a lot of friends.

I will be there in spirit and I'll miss them like crazy over the next few weeks.

9 Comments:

Blogger Eric Hildwine said...

I hope you're stocked up on Totino's pizzas and Top Ramen...

12:45 PM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Eric,

Nicki made a lot of home cook meals, now in the freezer, so I'm pretty well set!

Paul

6:45 PM  
Blogger alim said...

i wish them a very safe journey, and hope you are keeping well.

are you going to join up with them later?

ps. great photos as always =)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Any update?

7:08 AM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

HI Alim,

Thanks for the good wishes...I'll be here while they're away...four weddings to shoot between now and the time they come back and one the day AFTEr they arrive ...

Ruth...

They're about an hour from Johannesburg, according to the flight track by Delta. Then she's got to change planes for Durban...Should be in Durban for a late dinner...

I don't envy her...that trip kicks your butt even without a 20 month old in tow ;-)!
Paul

7:20 AM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Ruth...she just landed in Johannesburg...then about one and a half hours to get on the plane to Durban...

I'm sure Moira's in a tizzy with excitement!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Heck.....what about Breyer's Vanilla Ice Cream....

Oh....and....I do recall that 6 years ago, I called you guys who were preparing for a wedding....and I was so concerned for Nicki as she was, I thought, supposed to fly from JFK on 9/11.

Glad all is well and they'll have a smashing time. Kate's a Gero...and she'll just woo them all with those eyes and her winning ways!!

Too bad you're not closer, I'd take you to dinner.

Peggy :)

8:07 AM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Peg...

We actually chose to fly on 9/11 because we anticipated that the planes would be less full.

We were right...Nicki had two seats around her on each side, so I'm certain it made it a lot easier to fly with a very active little munchkin.

Now coming back, that'll be another story ... not quite as empty on the return...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Consolation: After this, a flight to South Carolina will be a piece of kelp*.







*Listen to "Finding Nemo" 47 times and you'll get this.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home