Thursday, September 13, 2007

Thank God for Skype



What an amazing thing Skype is...here I am halfway around the world and I can see and talk with my wife and daughter in S. Africa.

It's astounding how things have advanced in such a relatively short period of time. When Nicki and I were first engaged, and she was back in S. Africa for seven weeks, we would've given anything for Skype. Twice a day phone calls had to suffice.

This technology will definitely help bridge the gap, though it's obviously not the same as having them here...but for the period of their trip, it will be a huge gift.

Thanks to Nicki's parents, Moira and Tony for getting broadband in S. Africa (which is a luxury compared to here in the states where it's as common as having two tvs, it seems)...but it sure makes a difference...and it is so nice that it helps you see us when we're all here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Silly me! I hit that photo like it was YouTube, sort of expecting that you'd let us in on the conversation!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Robert Hammar said...

Hi Paul!

Skype was inveted by a Swedish. It's a great tool. I use Skype a lot and can get local as well. I ring USA as a local call when I have Skype out.

All my best!

Robert

1:10 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Many of my dog show friends from around the world (Aussie/NZ) use this method. I'd join the crowd IF I had broadband.

It is a wonderful thing I have been told.

Enjoy your Skype visits.....it's the next best thing to being there.....wait....who said that?

Peggy :)

2:55 PM  
Blogger AnneGero said...

Paul, Prayers are answered. I have kept all of you in mine this week knowing the flight would be an ordeal for Nicki and heck for Kate if she did not sleep. So happy to know that all is well in SA and that you are in constant communication with them. I know they will have a wonderful visit at her mother and father's home and with all her family. You will certainly miss them, I know. It is a long time to be separated from your family. Keep busy and the time will go faster.
Mom

8:54 PM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Peg...yes, it is great...broadband is what makes it so useful...can you get satellite dsl there? cable modem?

we just take it for granted...I think I've had dsl or cable for 10 years now...spoiled, I know ;-)


Mom...thanks for the prayers...she's getting back on track...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home