Thursday, December 28, 2006

More Christmas Day Pics




This Christmas I was feeling kind of retro and I wanted to capture some images on black and white film of the family during this holiday visit.

I just got a note back from the lab that the images were online and ready to view, so I signed on and got a glance at some of the images. The quad grouping above was some of my favorites from the day.

For these photos I used a very simple tool, the Hasselblad, with an 80mm lens, which is a normal focal length. Some think the normal focal length to be quite boring (I know, I used to when I was starting in photography). But it's actually one of the coolest lenses out there, I think, if used in an interesting way. A good number of these images were shot at maximum aperture (f2.8) and that creates a very unique look.

My friend and colleague Dan Milnor is responsible for getting me playing with this system again -- a camera that has been around for a long time. They were actually the brand of cameras that the Apollo astronauts used to take photographs when they walked on the moon back in 1969. They're slow to use (no autofocus), there's no in camera meter but it sure was a nice change of pace.

I'm so partial to b & w and I love how these turned out...plus I think the family will really appreciate these, even more as time passes and the kids grow up even more.

To see a flash slide show, please go here

To see an html web gallery (best for dial-up), please go here

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Is there any significance to the paper crowns at the dinner table?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

ruth...
they're inside the christmas cracker, a traditional british christmas favor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_cracker

7:13 AM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

I love the B/W photo flash presentation. Perhaps my favorite photo is the one of the Christmas tree with the lovely ornaments on it.

Who is in the "photo" ornament? Is that you? Nicki? A parent?

Also did you have this Christmas gathering with your family/friends who hosted your wedding reception?

Looks like a lot of fun.

I trust that Kate had a wonderful 1st b-day.

I did not forget....just figured with the guests that you'd be so busy. Hug my "luck be a lady" for me. I hope to get out there this winter to see you guys!!

Peggy :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Joel Eckman Maus said...

cool shots! I still have my Hassy and some B&W film in the freezer. I miss the square format, you used it well... did you keep trying to chimp?!!

nice work as always

joel

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home