Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Pipeline Masters Surfing Day One




Today the weather finally broke and the world's greatest surfing contest began. Here Cory Lopez catches some air, though he finished second to Andy Irons in Heat #1, Round One.

The Canon crew including Amy Kawadler, Josh, Scott, Tera and Roly and I all headed to Pipeline and it was great.

A bit of sun peaking through, some rain, very common for the Northshore.

I got a chance to shoot some long lens action, something I haven't done for a couple of years..Carrying long lenses -- 300 2.8s, 400 2.8s, was something that I did a ton of when I worked in journalism as I shot a lot of sports and the long lenses are necessary to work...since I have been in CA, though, I haven't had a real need for long lenses...and.I must say I had a blast doing it...these images were all made with the 1dm3 and a 500 f4 L IS lens....The 500 has been one of my favorites since the early days when Canon made a 500 f4.5L for the manual focus FD line of lenses.

It was always a great focal length...in some locations, the 400 is a tad short, the 600 a tad long...but the 500 is the sweet spot, for things like second base action...

I sat at the edge of the beach, watched the action and had a blast.

5 Comments:

Blogger AnneGero said...

Paul,
On our several trips to Hawaii, Dad and I enjoyed the bus ride around Oahu stopping at the North Shore just to stand and watch the surfers on the Pipeline. Amazing!!
One trip we stayed near the Del Webb's condos and we looked into buying one with 11 other couples. We could have made a fortune had we had the guts to plunge for one.
The next year the price had more than doubled.!!!!
Enjoyed your shots. They brought back many memories.
Thanks.
Mom

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the frame of the surfer. It reminds me of the days when I could open up the Republic to the sports section and see some great Cardinals or D-backs frames...

7:23 AM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Awesome shots!!

I remember your sports photos. I always thought you had the "knack" to be in the right place at the right time, because you understood sports.

These photos are amazing!!

Thank you for sharing.

What a cool story, Mom. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, huh? I think that's called life!!

Peggy :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

That surfer should be poster-sized over some teen surfer dude's bed.

The other on should be used by "Successories."

12:05 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends ... " Awesome stuff, Paul -- waxing up my board now; well, my snowboard anyway... Love the "off the lip" fly-away shot ...

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home