Thursday, November 29, 2007

Millie Portraits











On Tuesday evening I met Mariah and her daughter Millie at the beach for a portrait session.

Cresting Crown Valley just before PCH, I could see the most brilliant view of the sea that I had witnessed in a long time.

The prevailing winds were blowing east to west and the view was pristine; Catalina Island seemed almost within reach, it was just so clearly visible.

I was wondering what Mariah was thinking as she drove the same road (other than, damn, I caught every red light) because she and her family are moving this weekend to Charlotte. I felt a twinge of guilt because it was almost like nature was taunting her because the view, and the weather which was such a Chamber of Commerce type of day.

This was the fourth time that I have photographed Millie. The first time was two years ago around this time and Millie was a very reserved 9 month old little girl. I then photographed her first year birthday party, then last year's portraits for the holidays, recently documented one of her dance classes at the Ladera Ranch Dance Academy and now this year's portraits. I've been a witness to how she's grown in such a short time. She's still shy and a bit on the quiet side, but she's much more talkative than I remember even just a couple of months ago.

So as sad as I'm sure Mariah and Philip are for having to leave this great place, I'll be sad as well.

I'll miss the entire family and hope to continue documenting them when they come back to visit or even on an east coast portrait session. I'd love to continue to record her life with a camera.

Back to Tuesday, we were treated to probably the most amazing light that I've seen since coming to CA over five years ago. This week has been exceptional in that regard and Tuesday it was one of those evenings that just kept getting better and better as the sun dropped and the clouds were lit on fire.

I'm so glad that this portrait session with such incredible light was for one of my favorite little subjects.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Record said...

Wow! That is some sweet light! Great stuff Paul.
If they need some pix in Charlotte, send 'em my way :)

5:51 AM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Hey Chris,

Thanks for posting...I'll let Mariah know about you!

Paul

9:10 AM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

That shot with the seagull could be a stock photo. I am often amazed at what you are able to capture.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing work as usual. Beautiful light and a sensitive eye makes all the difference in a memorable photo that will cherish always...

12:33 PM  
Blogger AnneGero said...

Your shots are amazing!!! What beautiful people and in such a gorgeous setting. You are blessed!!
Mom

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home