Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back in the midwest...

I've been back in Wisconsin for the past couple of days.

I have a wedding this weekend down in Chicago and the north suburbs, so I thought it would be a good time to take a couple extra days to visit my sisters and family.

This afternoon, my niece Stefanie will compete in a sectional track meet in several events...looking forward to seeing her compete and photographing her as well.

She's in the midst of her finals during her sophomore year at school...so it's been pretty intense for her this week.

Nicki is back home in CA with Kate and we're just loving waking the munchkin up in the mornings.

Her hair is getting really long and she almost looks like The Donald with a combover in the morning before her hair gets brushed.

Plus, she's telling us her name when we ask her: "Tatie"

On the flight to Chicago, I reread a book I hadn't read in a few years. It's called "On Being a Photographer" by David Hurn and Bill Jay. Hurn is a Magnum photographer, Jay a retired professor and the two have been friends for about 40 years -- the book is a q & a of their conversations about all things photographic and just what that means for someone like Hurn who has been actively shooting for nearly 50 years. The book is such a mirror of my own philosphy that it's going on my recommended book list.

It was first written in the mid 90s, and updated in 2001 and now, despite the years, it's still incredibly relevant and prescient.

It's great to be with family, though I wish Nicki and Kate were here...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're in my neck of the woods these days, eh? ;)

Enjoy Chicago and your family... and look forward to a sweet reunion with your girls very soon!

"Taite", I love it!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Paul Gero said...

Gina...had a great time...seeing family was always good, never enough time...watching Stefanie run was amazing...I've photographed her since she was a baby...and now this...as always, fantastic to be a witness with a camera.

So glad to be back home, though...once back, we went to the park and Kate had a blast...she loves this little park...her friend Marlee and her folks came over to meet us...we all get along so well and the kids are just such good buddies...tears when they say good bye...

so good to be home!

Paul

9:18 AM  
Blogger Joe Konz said...

Paul, it's been a while since I've swung by here. I can't believe how the time has flown by. I'm dropping this note to ask if you really do have a formal "recommended" reading list?

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home