Friday, July 14, 2006

A Mississippi Wedding






Kate and John's wedding in Missippi in the first weekend in June was simply amazing.

The couple had spent some time in the Mississippi Delta area while Kate was teaching there through a program called Teach For America. In the process, they came to love the place and its people.

I can see why.

From the moment I arrived, I felt it was going to be a special event. Their friends and family welcomed me with open arms and they just allowed me to be there and do what I do. For a documentary photographer like me, it doesn't get much better than this.

Plus, I have this fascination with the American South from the history of the place, and especially the music.

This trip allowed me to to touch history: The site of their rehearsal dinner, the Hopson Preservation Company, is one of the oldest cotton plantations in America and is located just outside of Clarksdale, MS.

Their wedding took place at a well known "juke joint" called Po' Monkeys outside of Merigold, MS. Monkey, the owner is known for his flashy clothing and he didn't change his M.O. even for Kate and John's wedding -- he changed his suit just about every hour on the hour.

The wedding actually took place in a clearing of trees across from the lounge; the reception took place underneath a tent on the property.

I had to keep pinching myself during the entire day, it's was just such a a great trip to be witness to their special day in a very unique and special place.

To see a sneak peek slide show from the weekend, please go here

If you'd like to see the online galleries, please send me an email: paul@paulfgero.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Thanks for sharing the Mississippi Wedding Photo, they where breath taken.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

I really liked the picture of the tent taken from the distance. It showed the scale and, even though remote, showed how intimate it was in the tent.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Wow....no wonder you are so well-respected as a documentary wedding photographer.

I loved the colors in the tent scene. I also loved the candids. You truly captured the feel of the Mississippi River Delta. Having spent time in Biloxi, I have a sense of the people of the area.

At Dad's interment, our uncle asked me "why does he take so many photos of things?" My answer to him was to preserve and remember the moment.

You do that so incredibly and amazingly well!! I felt I was at the wedding.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home